ALOR STAR: A total of 30 remains believed to be Rohingyas which were found at the detention camps at Bukit Wang Kelian Burma in Perlis last month, were laid to rest at Kampung Tualang cemetery here early this morning.
State Islamic Religious Department (JAIK) director Datuk Mat Noh Dahaya said the remains comprising 27 men, two women and one unknown gender, were buried in two graves upon completing the post-mortem at Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital.
“The gender of the immigrant were identified based on their hairs and another 55 remains out of 106 are still undergoing post-mortem procedure at the hospital,” he said adding that there were five phases of the burial.
The second phase of burial which started at 4am today was handled by JAIK and members of Kedah Chapter of Rohingya Society Malaysia.
The first burial took place at the same cemetery involving 21 remains comprising 19 males and two females, also buried in a same grave.
It was reported on May 24 that discovery of 139 graves and 28 transit camps which were abandoned by the syndicate in Wang Kelian, near the Malaysia-Thailand border.