KUALA LUMPUR: Kuala Lumpur and Manila will set up a Malaysian-Philippine joint taskforce to track down those responsible for the slaying of engineer Bernard Then Ted Fen.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar told the New Straits Times this morning that he would personally go over to Manila to engage his counterpart in bringing those responsible to book.
Khalid said the meeting would also be focused on wiping out future threats posed by the militant group, Abu Sayyaf, which had been responsible for the numerous kidnap-for-ransom cases, where they would storm locations in Sabah and snatch their victims.
In most cases, the victims would be immediately be brought back to their stronghold, in Jolo Island.
On Tuesday, Then, an engineer from Sarawak who was 39, became the first Malaysian kidnap victim to be slain by the terrorist group.