KUALA LUMPUR: Four lawyers representing the two alleged Movida nightclub bombers, have recused themselves from the case, due to insufficient time to prepare for trial.
When the case came up for the first day of trial today, lawyers representing both the accused, told Judicial Commissioner Datuk Nordin Hassan that they were unable to go on with the case as they have just been furnished with documents pertaining to the matter.
The four – K.F. Wong and Farida Mohammad, who are representing Imam Wahyudin Karjono, 21, and counsels Aaron Mark Pius and J.Y. Kong who are acting for the second accused Jonius Ondie@Jahali, 24, sought for a postponement.
“We received more documents for the case only yesterday and therefore need more time to prepare for the case. “I have just returned from my trip to England, last Friday and Farida, is still recuperating from dengue.”
However, Nordin said the reasons given by the defence team were not justifiable because the prosecution had given them the documents on Dec 30.
“However, I have no objection if you want to recuse yourselves from the case.”
Nordin also told both Wahyudin and Jonius that if they need legal representation, the court will provide assistance to the duo.
Factory worker Imam and Jonius, unemployed, were charged with supporting terror activities for hurling a hand grenade and injuring eight people at the Movida Pub at about 2am on June 28, last year.
Imam was also charged with spreading terror ideology through the Telegram application at his home at C-4-19, Block Chempaka, Jalan Indah 1, Puchong Indah in Puchong between March 25 and June 28.
Deputy public prosecutors Saiful Edris Zainuddin and Mustaffa P. Kunyalam, appeared for the prosecution. The case will come up for mention and appointment of new lawyers for the men on Jan 24.
-New Straits Times