KUALA TERENGGANU: The Investigation Paper (IP) on an alleged RM14.2 million umrah package scam involving 4,800 victims here will be handed over to the Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) in the next two weeks.
State police chief Datuk Rosli Ab Rahman said the IP was recently returned to him by the DPP for several amendments, after which the process will resume.
Rosli said his men have been given two weeks to complete the IP before sending it back to the DPP for further action.
“The DPP will then make a decision about the matter,” he added when contacted yesterday. Rosli said police received 336 reports from victims of the alleged scam involving a whopping RM14.2 million which shocked many in the state.
The reports were lodged by prospective umrah pilgrims, comprising mainly teachers and their families, who failed to perform umrah as promised by the organiser.
“Up to Sunday, we received a total of 336 reports by the victims, compared to 48 victim reports last year,” he said to the New Straits Times.
On Dec 26, Yayasan Bakti Negara Terengganu (YBNT)’s chief executive officer and his accountant, both aged 28, were remanded for questioning by police at the Kuala Terengganu police station.
Both were released on police bail on Jan 17, while the State education director, his deputy and another officer from the department were also summoned to the station to assist with the investigation.
The umrah package scam involves 4,800 people state-wide, with potential pilgrims having paid RM3,000 each to YBNT.
YBNT started operations in June last year, offering teachers and their relatives a cheap umrah package.
The case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating.-nst