KOTA KINABALU: A body of a woman was recovered in waters off Pulau Mengalum some 13 nautical miles from where a catamaran sank with 28 Chinese tourists on board last week.
Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency Kota Kinabalu director First Admiral Adam Aziz said the body, which was clad in a red shirt and black pants, was found caught in fishing nets at about 9.25am Saturday.
He said the body would be brought back here by 12.30pm and an identification check will be carried out immediately.
He said the discovery of the body had led rescuers to believe that the bodies of those still missing from the boat mishap could be stuck on the sea bed.
The search operation for five Chinese tourists and a crew member entered the eighth day today with the search covering waters off Sabah, Miri and Brunei.
On Jan 28, a catamaran with 31 people on board – comprising 28 Chinese nationals and three crew members – sank at about 10am after departing the Tanjung Aru jetty an hour earlier.
The search effort began immediately after the company operating the vessel reported the mishap to the authorities 12 hours after the incident.
Most were rescued on Sunday afternoon. Twenty of the Chinese nationals survived their 32-hour ordeal at sea, while three died.-thestar