A heartbreaking tragedy met new parents, Shane and Nicole Sifrit when their 18-day-old baby, Mariana Sifrit was announced dead due to a killer virus, herpes, which she surprisingly contracted form visitors who might have the virus and had kissed her.
The couple from Iowa were heartbroken after finding their six-day-old daughter in pale condition with breathing malfunction two hours after their wedding.
“It immediately went downhill from there. Within two hours she had quit breathing and all of her organs just started to fail,” Shane told WHO-TV.
The reception had to be cut short as they rushed Mariana to Blank Children’s Hospital to have her checked out. There, the doctors made the devastating diagnosis of meningitis HSV-1.
According to the Johns Hopkins Health Library, Herpes Meningitis can be caused by bacteria that could be transmitted by sexual contact or passed from an infected mother to the baby during childbirth.
However, both of the parents were tested negative for the virus leaving the only possibility that cost them their daughter’s life was through contacts days after her birth from people who might have carried the virus or while suffering from a cold sore.
The first two days, Mariana had undergone a half-dozen blood transfusions. She also had to be put on dialysis when both of her kidneys and liver stopped functioning properly, which has caused internal bleeding.
Mariana was also airlifted to University of Iowa Hospital where a team of specialists did their best help save her on July 10.
Sadly on Sunday, Nicole wrote on her Facebook page that she and Shane were told that if Mariana’s liver does not repair itself, she will not be able to survive.
The next day, Nicole again was told by the doctors at Blank Children Hospital that Mariana’s condition had worsen and they were out of options to save her.
“My heart is crushed, my baby is declining fast! She has no brain activity and her lungs and heart are failing along with her kidneys and liver. They are running out of options for her,” expressed Nicole.
On July 18, Mariana lost to the virus and passed away on Tuesday morning, in her father’s arms.
“She is now no longer suffering and is with the Lord.
“In her 18 days of life she made a huge impact on the world and we hope with Mariana’s Story we save numerous newborns life. R.I.P. sweet angel,” Nicole wrote in a Facebook post.
In light of the painful and horrific experience, the heartbroken couple is raising awareness to warn other parents to keep their newborn infants isolated.
“Don’t let just anyone come visit them,” Nicole said earlier.
“’Make sure they are constantly washing their hands. Don’t let people kiss your baby and make sure they ask before they pick up your baby,” warned Nicole.
They also advised new parents to never be embarrassed if they arrive at the situation where they have to turn down the visitors away.